Compare Zantac vs. Rolaids
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Zantac 75 (ranitidine) is an effective and inexpensive medicine for hearburn with few side effects, but may interfere with other drugs.
Rolaids (Calcium Carbonate / Magnesium Hydroxide) gives quick relief for heartburn, but don't expect it to last all day.
- Zantac 75 (ranitidine) works well to relieve heartburn symtoms and is quite tolerable.
- You can take it in combination with a quick-acting antacid (like Maalox or Tums) if you need relief right away.
- If you have trouble swallowing pills you may find the liquid product a good option.
- Inexpensive with over-the-counter and generic options.
- Coupons are available for the brand product - speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
- Works really fast.
- Available over the counter without a prescription.
- Zantac 75 (ranitidine) doesn't work as quickly as some other acid reducers. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist if you need quicker relief.
- Zantac 75 (ranitidine) does not last as long as some other acid reducers. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist if you need longer relief.
- May not be as effective in healing the esophagus when it is inflammed or torn, known as erosive esophagitis. Your doctor will assess which medication is best for you.
- Can lower your vitamin B12 levels if you use Zantac 75 (ranitidine) for a long time. Your doctor can order lab tests to monitor your vitamin B12 levels.
- Doesn't last very long.
- Other antacids like Zantac (H2 blockers) and omeprazole (proton pump inhibitors) can work better and last longer.
- Some chalky aftertaste.
- Oral solution
- Oral syrup
- Chewable tablet
Have you used Zantac 75 (ranitidine)?Leave a review
- Aged 60 years or older
- Kidney conditions
- Liver conditions
- Drug interactions
- Acute porphyria
- Acute Porphyria
- Chronic lung problems
- Lung problems
- Taking the wrong medication
- High blood calcium
- Current kidney disease
- Kidney dialysis
- Hyperparathyroid disease
- Taking high doses of Vitamin D
- Kidney stones
- Previous kidney stones