Compare Zegerid vs. Tums
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Zegerid (omeprazole and sodium bicarbonate) is an effective medicine for heartburn, but it's more expensive than buying omeprazole by itself.
Tums (Calcium carbonate) gives quick relief for heartburn, but does not last all day. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about other medicines if you need additional relief.
- Most people can take Zegerid without any noticeable day-to-day side effects.
- Zegerid lasts longer than other types of antacids (like Zantac, Pepcid, or Tums), and you may only need to take it once a day.
- Contains both a quick acting and a long acting component to help provide fast and long lasting relief.
- Is inexpensive as both generic and over-the-counter options are availabe.
- Tums (Calcium carbonate) is an effective, first-line medication for hearburn.
- Tums (Calcium carbonate) starts working in seconds.
- Has minimal side effects.
- Available in chewable form.
- Is inexpensive and readily available over-the-counter.
- Coupons are available – speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
- Zegerid (omeprazole and sodium bicarbonate) contains sodium bicarbonate which isn't good if your doctor's asked you to lower your sodium bicarbonate or if you have heart or blood pressure problems.
- May not be the best option if you have Bartter's syndrome due to sodium bicarbonate. Speak to your doctor first.
- Should not be used for occasional heartburns. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about other medications if you do not have frequent heartburns.
- Because Tums (Calcium carbonate) only lasts for 1 to 2 hours, you may need additional doses.
- May increase calcium levels too much in people with kidney or thyroid conditions.
- May have a chalky taste.
- Chewable tablet
Have you used Zegerid (omeprazole and sodium bicarbonate)?Leave a review
- Severe diarrhea
- Use during hospitalization
- Bone fractures
- Long-term use of Zegerid (omeprazole and sodium bicarbonate)
- Using high doses of Zegerid (omeprazole and sodium bicarbonate)
- Drug interactions
- Chronic lung problems
- Lung problems
- Low vitamin or mineral levels