Compare Zomig vs. Cafergot
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Triptans are the first-choice to treat migraines. Zomig (zolmitriptan) works just as well as other triptans for migraines.
Treats migraine headaches.
Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) can treat migraines, but you're more likely to have side effects.
- Zomig (zolmitriptan) is is a first choice treatment to treat severe migraines.
- There are different forms of Zomig (zolmitriptan) available, including a dissolving pill and a nasal spray if you have trouble swallowing during a migraine attack.
- The regular and dissolving pill forms of Zomig (zolmitriptan) are available as generics.
- Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) works better than other medicines if your migraines usually last more than 2 days or if you have more frequent migraines.
- If you're taking the nasal spray form of Zomig (zolmitriptan), you have to follow the instructions exactly or you won't get the full dose of medicine.
- The nasal spray form of Zomig (zolmitriptan) is only available as brand name, so it can be expensive.
- If you have heart disease or history of stroke, Zomig (zolmitriptan) may not be the best choice for you. Talk to your doctor about your medical history.
- Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) can't stop migraines from happening. They can only treat them.
- Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) can only be used for migraines. It doesn't work for other types of headaches.
- Smoking or using products that contain nicotine can make Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) less effective.
- Dissolving tablet
- Nasal spray
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
12possible side effects
- Changes in taste21%
- Tingling or prickling sensation10%
- Oversensitivity of the skin5%
- Pain in the throat4%
- Discomfort in the nose3%
- Tightness in the throat2%
- Dry mouth2%
The Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- Heart attack
- Heart disease
- history of chest pain/angina
- uncontrolled high blood pressure
- History of a stroke
- Medication overuse headache
- Using Zomig (zolmitriptan) or other migraine treatment medications for 10 or more days a month
- Changes in heartbeat
- History of arrhythmia
- Serotonin syndrome
- Taking tricyclic antidepressants, fentanyl, tramadol, buspirone, or ADHD medicines
- Blood vessel issues
- High blood pressure
- history of stroke
- Heart and circulation problems
- Overdosing Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine)
- Taking triptans (Imitrex, Axert, Maxalt, Amerge, Frova) for migraines
- Dependency and withdrawal
- Taking Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) regularly for months
- Danger to fetus