Compare Zyrtec vs. Qvar
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Treats allergy symptoms.
Zyrtec (Cetirizine) is a once-daily allergy relief medication that won't make you feel too sleepy.
3.8/ 5 average rating with 1232 reviewsforZyrtec
Prevents breathing problems.
Qvar (Beclomethasone) is good at controlling and preventing asthma symptoms when you take it every day.
3.2/ 5 average rating with 35 reviewsforQvar
- Zyrtec (Cetirizine) works as well as other antihistamines to treat sneezing and runny nose, but causes less sedation.
- Works well to also treat hives and itchy skin.
- Zyrtec (Cetirizine) is available over the counter without a prescription.
- It comes as a tablet, liquid, and quick-dissolving tablet.
- It can provide quick relief of allergy symptoms for both kids and adults.
- It's okay to take with most other medications because it has few drug interactions.
- Most people don't get any side effects from Zyrtec (Cetirizine).
- Relieves symptoms and improves control of asthma.
- People report fewer asthma symptoms and better lung function when they take it every day.
- Inhaling this medicine (rather than taking an oral steroid) gets more into the lungs and less into rest of your body, which lowers the risk of side effects. Inhaled corticosteroids can be used safely for years compared to oral corticosteroids like prednisone.
- Although it works fast, its effectiveness wears off for some people over time.
- Zyrtec (Cetirizine) can be slightly more sedating than Allegra or Claritin.
- Some people find that other more sedating antihistamines, like Benadryl, are more effective for them than Zyrtec (Cetirizine).
- If you have daily allergy symptoms, a prescription nasal steroid spray might be better for you long-term.
- You have to use Qvar every day to control your symptoms.
- You can't lower the dose or stop taking it too suddenly.
- Steroids can slow height growth in kids.
- Because steroids suppress your immune system, you can catch bacterial and viral infections easier, and they can take longer to go away.
- Can cause new or worsening eye pressure, glaucoma, and cataracts.
- Liquid capsule
- Dissolving tablet
- Nasal spray
No pricing information available
$299.85Find instant savings near you
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
1232 reviews so far
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Zyrtec (Cetirizine)?Leave a review
The Zyrtec (Cetirizine) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
2possible side effects
Risks and risk factors
- Taking the wrong medication
- Increased side effects
- Age 65 or older
- Driving impairment
- Taking with alcohol
- Taking other medicines that make you less alert
- Current kidney disease
- Current liver disease
- Adrenal suppression (HPA axis suppression)
- Lowering dose or stopping too quickly especially after long-term treatment
- Stress such as trauma, surgery or infection
- Increased risk for bacterial and viral infection
- Bacterial or viral infection not being treated
- Long-term treatment
- Not vaccinated against chickenpox or measles
- Mouth and throat infection
- Not rinsing mouth after use
- Higher dose of Qvar (Beclomethasone)
- Difficulty breathing (bronchospasm)
- Reduced growth rate in children
- Dose of Qvar (Beclomethasone)
- Duration of treatment
- Eye problems
- History of high internal eye pressure
- History of cataracts
- History of glaucoma